1. The ride begins at 8:00 am sharp from the Sandwich Marina. The starting line is actually along side the Aqua Grille on Gallo Rd. in Sandwich. You leave the Marina via Gallo Rd., Tupper Rd., and get escorted on to Route 6A where you will remain until North Truro (55 miles away).
2. About 5 miles into the ride, it will be time to dismount from your bike to safely cross the RR tracks in Sandwich. Over the years, this spot has been cause for many an exciting spill. Get off, or Fall off!
3. At the 15 mile mark, we have our first water stop. You will be able to pull off the road and get a drink and something to eat at the Pizza By Evan, in Yarmouthport.(this is a new location this year)
4. At the 32 mile mark, a note of caution as you negotiate the Rt.28/6A fork, leading up to the Orleans Rotary. Although we have never had an incident here, please be careful!
5. Around the 30 mile mark we have our second water stop. This stop is located at the Orleans Bowling.
6. Around the 45 mile mark we have our third water stop. This stop is located at the Kinlin-Grover office in So. Wellfleet on Rt. 6A. Time for a bit of a rest and refuel before heading into the last 20 or so miles.
7. At the 55 mile mark, time to head off of Rt. 6A via Highland Ave in N. Truro. At the end of the exit, take a left heading for Shore Rd.
8. You will travel about 1/2 mile down Highland Ave. when you will come to an intersection at Salty’s Market, at the intersection, please take a right and you will immediately encounter The Last Gasp hill. Not particularly long, the hill is quite steep and will take your Last Gasp to conquer without getting off your bike.
9. Once over the top, enjoy the “longest” 5 mile ride of your life along Shore Rd. Small rolling hills are coupled with a stiff headwind to bring you what seems to many, an endless trip to the finish line.
10. The finish line is headed up by the Godfather of the Gasp, Ray DuBois. The finish is set up a couple of miles out of town on Shore Road at the Harbor Hotel. This is the end of the road for you. We ask that you pull off after crossing the finish line and check out how you did. We then want you to proceed behind the hotel where you will load your bike onto the UPS truck and pick up your bag. We recommend packing a towel and dry clothes. We will provide lunch at the Harbor Hotel, where you may have the beverage of your choice, check out the Pats game, and tell tall tales about your ride to your “Gasper” friends.
12. At 2:00 pm sharp, the M.V. Portuguese Princess will head back to Sandwich from MacMillian Wharf in Provincetown. What a Day! The clambake at the American Legion in Sandwich (Rt. 130) will begin at 3:30.